Graduation & Transfer2


Students may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements of any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment.

The graduation requirements listed in the Chief Dull Knife College catalog which is current at the time the student determines that he/she plans to graduate from CDKC or when the student first attends on a full-time basis, are the requirements that apply to that student.

At least 15 credit hours must be earned at CDKC to meet degree graduation requirements.

A maximum of seven credits of ā€œDā€ grade will be applicable towards degree or certificate requirements.

All graduation requirements including application for graduation need to be complete before going through the graduation ceremony.

All student accounts need to be paid in full before participating in the graduation ceremony.

Students must make formal application for graduation with the Registrar by at least the second week of the semester in which the course requirements are expected to be completed.


All CDKC course credits, properly selected to meet the lower-division requirements of a given subject major, are accepted by the colleges and universities of Montana, as well as by accredited colleges and universities outside the state. Students should check with the department to which they plan to transfer to insure full acceptance of credits in a specific program. If you plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, follow the steps listed below:

  • Determine as soon as possible the college to which you wish to transfer.
  • Obtain a current catalog of that institution and study entrance requirements and suggestions for courses for freshman and sophomore students in your major field of interest. Refer to current articulation agreements if available.
  • Confer with your advisor about fulfilling requirements. CDKC has a Transition Counselor specifically for this purpose. Please see the Student Affairs Department.
  • Confer, either by letter or by personal interview, with an Admissions Officer or department chair of the college to which you want to transfer for further information about curriculum and transfer regulations.
  • Check at least a semester before transfer, making certain all requirements will be met to the satisfaction of the four-year college.
  • Some colleges have specific grade and/or test requirements. Research such requirements carefully.
  • Students planning to transfer to a four year institution need to be aware that the Montana University System requires all core classes transferred must have a C grade or better. D grades may be accepted at the discretion of the transferring school for non-core classes.